Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Blogging Third Graders

The past couple weeks I have introduced blogging to my third graders. I thought maybe they would like it, but I never imagined the response I received. They absolutely love it and cannot get enough of it. I have a class website that I have used all year long. There is an application on there for blogging. I turned it off at the beginning of the year because, frankly, I knew nothing about it. After learning about blogging recently, it got the wheels spinning in my head. How could I do this with third graders? The first thing we did was have a lesson on internet safety. They were told they could not use full names under any circumstances and all comments had to be screened through me and any inappropriate comments would not be published. I don't know if you'd call what we've done so far "blogging" on their part. Basically, I blog and they post comments. For instance, the first blog was about a book we are reading in class. I asked for predictions, favorite parts or unanswered questions. They went to town. By the time I got home from school that day I already had 25 comments to approve. They make intelligent comments and have mini discussions. Since then I have posted two more blogs. One is about their favorite book and the other is a Social Studies blog, asking about their favorite part of our community. Because they are third graders I'm not sure exactly how far to take this. I involve them in the process of posting the blog, but as of yet have not had any of them actually post a blog. I did tell them they could submit blogs that I would post for them. I've also thought about trying to get an author of one of the books we're reading to blog with us, or having one of our city councilmen to participate also. Does anyone have any ideas on how to involve them more in the process? I want to keep it safe. Some of them have asked for a blog space where they could post anything they wanted but I'm not sure I want to go there. One thing I have learned though, is they are so open and excited about anything new in technology. Their excitement makes me want to search even harder for ways to use blogging and technology to reach them even more.

5 comments:

  1. Super... I'm so glad to read that you already have some experience with blogging and that you have realized the importance of keeping your students' work 'safe'... excellent!
    Dr. L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya,
    Wow, this is great! I'm sure over the summer you will come up with many ideas to utilize blogging. I can understand your excitement. Right now, my students are making recipes in class and actually serving the food to the other students. Many are shouting, "I want the recipe." I've thought about placing them on my blog, but I'm still a little nervous about it. I want to learn more about this before I begin teaching them. The only potential concern I see for you would be to spend more time repeating safety procedures with them. Maybe have them posted close to the computers and even have them sign a contract with the safety rules listed on it. I'm sure you've already done this, but have permission slips signed by parents, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you had your students blog using their time in the computer lab! I am going to definitely use that idea! It's a great way to include those who have internet access at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya,
    You seem like an old pro with the whole blogging thing. By time your third graders get to high school they are going to be so prepared for all the technology that will be put before them. I think your idea of getting an author to blog with your class would be great. Maybe you could send the author of your choice an email and tell him/her what your trying to do. Maybe in the interest of safety you could make it a requirement that for each post the students make their parent or guardian must sign off o their blog with a username that you create for each parent? Just a thought...Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually sent home a paper the first time we blogged, explaining the assignment to the parents as well as the safety precautions we had discussed. I had them sign it and send it in. I've had nothing but positive feedback. It's been a great experience. Some of them are asking to have their own blogs but I told them they have to take that up with their parents. I'm not ready to take that on just yet.
    ...Tonya

    ReplyDelete