Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Behaviorism in Practice

I’ve heard over and over from different sources that Behaviorism has no place in the classroom today. In theory, I can see where they are coming from; however, as a primary grade teacher, I absolutely believe that Behaviorist instructional strategies can be very beneficial. Behaviorists believe that behavior is learned or changed due to a stimulus response. While I wholeheartedly agree that the ideal reward would be intrinsic, teaching third grade has me using extrinsic rewards throughout my classroom. For instance, this year I use a “Move your clip” system that is very Behavioristic. Last year, with a completely different make up of kids, I did not have to use this because the students did not need it. By the second day of this school year I was digging for my Rick Morris chart and my clothespins! I have also used contracts for major behavior problems as well as for my Mainstreamed students. Bottom line is, it works. I don’t know if this holds true for the older students, but I know it works for third graders. Of course, the hope is that they will mature and be able to police their own behavior by the end of the year.
The resources this week regarding homework and effort seemed a bit too complex for my students. I do not think they are capable of charting their own effort in the way described in the book. In some very simplistic ways I suppose I do this. For instance, we do what is called “Six Minute Solution” which is a reading fluency program. The students read to each other, and then they chart their progress each day. This is not done on computers, although it could be adapted to track technologically. In the text book it talked about all the students pulling out their laptops. While that would be a dream come true, I think that scenario is so far from my own classroom reality that I cannot even begin to relate. I do use technology to chart effort and progress of my students to show their parents. For example I chart their reading comprehension and fluency and it is a very helpful tool.
The websites found in the resources were helpful. They were a bit high level in some instances. I loved the Social Studies Tutor but I don’t think I could use it for my own students. Also, the site for keyboarding practice was good; however, I have found www.nimblefingers.com to be a bit more third grade friendly. Perhaps I find it that way because it takes a bit more of a Behaviorism approach which my students respond to. On my classroom website I have links to many internet instructional games that my students love. There are too many to name, but if you go to my website and click on “links” it brings up many primary technology games. http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/TBorns/
I'm interested in knowing if the high school teachers find Behaviorism as beneficial as the Elementary School teachers.
Tonya

4 comments:

  1. First of all Tonya, your class website is terrific. So much information for parents right at their fingertips. I am curious to know if you tried the site IKnowthat.com and if you think its level is appropriate for third graders. I am the parent of a third grader myself and he is just learning multiplication facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine,
    As far as my website, it was funny, at the beginning of the school year some of the parents were a little put off by the whole idea of it. I heard things like "I'm not tech savvy, I just don't know if this will work for me." I just sent them paper copies of everything. Within a couple weeks they were back, having actually looked at it and played around and were so happy. I think it's the same with me sometimes. I'm a little hesitant with new concepts but once I dig in it's amazing how much easier things can be! By the way...it's also the easiest website ever. It's through myteacherpages.com.

    I looked around on IKnowthat.com and found a few areas that would work with third graders. Sometimes third grade is tough because a lot of things are too primary and some are too challenging. We're kind of the middle child, so to speak. Have you looked at AAAMath or Aplusmath? Those are great sites for learning multiplication facts!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya,
    I am a fellow primary teacher (2nd grade) and I can relate to the years of having a structured behaviorist classroom management system (such as the moving the clips.) What is strange is that in my undergraduate studies (graduated 2007) they were so against behaviorism as a tool for the classroom. I walked into my first year classroom with all these grand ideas on how I was going to have students take ownership in their actions and encourage them to be intrinsically motivated but within a week I set up a rewards system. That particular class just needed it. My following year was not the same. They were, for the most part, well behaved. The point I am making is you have to do what works for you and the behaviorist model works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tonya,
    I too am having one of "those" years where I am using the clips and color chart. It is working very well for some. However, for my most disruptive students, I've had to try other methods. The clip chart just doesn't work. This is when I pull out the behavior contracts. Fortunately, there are usually only one or two children like this in a class. But I have found that if I work with the student in designing a specific goal(s), then they are much more likely to attain it. We also start small with one or two goals so that they can feel successful.

    I also have to comment about what Ashley said, as I can relate to her feelings very well. In college it was everything BUT behaviorism that I was told would work in class. I was shocked that my students were not intrinsically motivated at all! At first I felt like a failure because what I was taught was not working. But, after talking to my colleagues, I realized, as you have, that it takes using many different theories based on the needs of the students.

    ReplyDelete