Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Constructionist Learning

This week's resources have talked about many project based learning sites. I have already spent tons of time scouting out the libraries on the sites getting more and more ideas. I have used Webquests with my students from time to time and they are always excellent teaching tools. The students are always so proud of themselves for finding their own information. Having students actively participating in their own learning cements the learning so much more. All the resources this week are clear illustrations of that.

I know at times I shy away from major projects such as these for a number of reasons. First, it's difficult to ensure that all group members participate equally. I liked the "role assignment" in the text book that had "Script writers", "Researchers", etc. Giving each student their own role in the group will allow them to have their own voice and not shrink behind the voices of the ones who automatically appoint themselves leaders. Also, with third graders, sometimes it's difficult to manage group projects. Unless it is something they are all completely involved in it leaves room for off task activities. I would think for project learning I would definitely need parent volunteers available.

I've seen, first hand, how powerful group projects can be. As a fourth grade teacher I would always do an Interact unit on California Missions. The students were put into groups of traders coming to the missions. They had to learn trivia in order to earn hides for their boat. As a group they had to decide upon the best materials to bring to trade. They also had to make group decisions at certain points along the journey. In addition, it involved lots of accounting and bookkeeping. This week has shown me how much more I could add to it by adding in some technology. Whereas before they only used the internet to research the missions, I can also envision making graphs, using Excel, videotaping reenactments and so much more. I love the idea of taking an already existing unit and adding technology to make the learning that much more powerful.
Tonya

6 comments:

  1. Tonya,

    I agree with you that the idea of project-based learning can be an intimidating one and one that can lead to unequal participation when working in groups. My colleague's son has had the problem of being partnered with a student who does look on learning and studying with the same respect as he does and he has had to do all the work or he would not get a good grade. This aspect is frustrating for both teacher and student. Other than assigning roles how else do you think we can encourage and ensure fairness of participation?

    Minty

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past I have had students privately grade each other after the projects are through. What I do now is choose certain aspects that each student will be graded on instead of giving one all encompassing grade. It's difficult. My daughter, who is a Junior in high school, has been in groups many times where she did all the work and I found it so unfair that the "slackers" got the same grade that she did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that what you are discussing even happens in first grade during collaborative learning groups. Although my first grade students are helpful to others who are having trouble or don't understand, many time those who are "able" take over, and those who are having difficulty just sit back. I love the idea of grading your partners privately! I have assigned roles to my students which has been effective, but I still have to do A LOT of monitoring and facilitating. I have never used a parent helper during this time, but I think it's a great idea and will definitely use one next time.

    Amy Arsenault

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think parent volunteers will be key in managing major projects in elementary school. Although we'd like to think they are independent enough, there are always some, if left unwatched, that could ruin the whole experience for the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tonya,

    I think what you mentioned about having each student have an assigned task is always a good idea. In my group projects, I have learned not to give a group grade. Students receive individual grades, including a grade on how much they contributed to the group. This seems to work fairly well in my middle school classroom.

    Amanda D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Project based learning does present a few challlenge, but I think your role assignments help students know what is expected. Im not sure that a parent volunteer would be necessary in my classroom, because I feel it is very important for students take on the challenge in a setting that resmebles what they see most frequently in the school,

    ReplyDelete