Sunday, March 28, 2010

Monitoring my GAME Plan Progress

This week I have been searching for resources and information I need. I've searched various search engines for virtual field trips. What has amazed me is how unaware my student are of heroes from long ago. They are so wrapped up in their own little worlds that it will be so beneficial to open up their eyes to heroes around them using technology. I've found tons of resources on United Streaming. Some of these are videos and some are photos. The virtual field trips I've been searching for this week would help to dive deeper into the person's life. For example, the students can learn about Thomas Jefferson and then take a virtual field trip to Montecello. I found a virtual field trip of an old slave market that I could show while learning about Harriett Tubman or even Abraham Lincoln. A few classes ago, the instructor gave us a virtual field trip to the theater in which Lincoln was shot. I also discovered I could use Google Earth to "fly" us directly to certain places.

The only way I've decided to modify is by spending more time on the prior knowledge part of it. Before students choose their own hero, I will spend more time introducing them to various types of heroes.

So far I'm amazed at the resources out there. What I've learned so far is that it will take a long time to sift through it all and pick out the truly valuable resources. I also need to find a balance and that will take time as well. I realize that some will be trial and error, but having a plan ahead of time will be greatly beneficial. I must admit, though, that as the school year is winding down and all the state tests are coming upon us, I don't feel I have been able to truly sift through all the resources completely. At this point, I'm thinking, next year will be my year. This year, I'll do what I can and next year I will be able to truly finesse it.

3 comments:

  1. Tonya I enjoyed reading about your progress. You have put a lot of thought into your GAME Plan. It seems you and I are really in similar places. We used so many snow days this year and are really behind. I am feeling a lot of pressure with assessments and daily "making-up" for lost time!Something you could try for your students who are having trouble grasping the idea of a Hero would be to create a web on the characteristics of a hero. Maybe they need a little extra insight on what makes a hero a hero before they are able to choose one. I have some friends who have to have a very visual representation of unfamiliar concepts!
    Sarah Horner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I agree...some of the students really need it spelled out. I've used thinking maps to describe characteristics of heroes but a web design would be great also. I was shocked this year to discover that students had no clue who Helen Keller or the Wright Brothers were. On the other hand, they would call certain sports players or band members heroes who really have no business being called a hero. Different time to be sure. Thanks for your idea.
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya,

    Finding balance, especially at this time of year, is definitely difficult! I think that you hit the nail on the head when you discussed having your plan well thought out before hand! It seems like the more I learn about technology, the more resources (both good and not so good) there are to "sift" through. It's difficult to put in as much time as is really needed when you work full time, have a family, AND are taking these classes. I guess we just have to remember that it is a process. I have walked through your class and have always been very impressed with your use of technology. I think you have done a lot more than you give yourself credit for! Great job!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete