Saturday, April 3, 2010

Week 5 Progress

Seeing how this week was the last week before Spring Break, not much got done with my students as far as progress. It was all I could do to hold on to our normal routine. Most of the instruction toward my GAME plan this week were guided. We tried to go to the computer lab to work on spreadsheets for the ACTION plan; however, none of the mice would work. After much frustration, we returned and I did a guided lesson on the SMARTboard.

What I learned from this is that it is imperative to be flexible! When you are dealing with technology, especially at our school lately, the best laid plans usually lead you elsewhere. The students were very engaged during the guided lesson so that helped, but I know they were itching to get their fingers on actual keyboards.

What I still need to learn is the best way to deal with the obstacles I face. I don't even know where to start. The internet is up, then it rains and it's down. The mice work, then they don't. I'm blocked from critical sites from our filter. I'm trying to make a lesson out of being flexible and demonstrating how to find my way around them. Talk about Problem based learning...dealing with our latest technology issues has been problem enough!

I will have to adjust my plan if things remain the same when we return from Spring Break. If I have to use just my one classroom computer, I will need to work out a time schedule for the students to have equal amounts of time with their groups. We'll get there, I know, but it is frustrating at this point!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tonya,
    As a former technology teacher I can relate to your frustration. This is the time of year many teachers are trying to cram in their required research projects. As a result, the lab is used often and not always left in good repair and it is out of your control.

    I am glad you have been flexible and continued on the course. Small groups will take longer but the students will enjoy the experience. You have been doing a great job modeling appropriate problem solving skills.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonya,

    I think your lesson on your Wiki looks great! I completely understand the frustrations you are feeling, as I am going through the exact same thing! I applaud your ability to be flexible while still meeting your goals. I think that is key, and you are doing a great job! Hopefully our district will soon realize how important technology is to our students and update our tools! Keep up the great work!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tonya,

    Wow, if it isn't one thing it's another. You are so right when you say teachers have to be flexible. If only we could pick up a computer and throw it to make it work. I guess that wouldn't set a good example for our students. What I don't understand is when I am preparing my technology lessons everything is great. Then, when the class is waiting everything goes mad. Maybe it is a sign that the human race shouldn't let computers take over. Eventually, that could cause a huge problem. Have wonnderful Spring break.

    ReplyDelete