Thursday, April 8, 2010

Revising the GAME Plan Week 6

Today I have to say, my eyes have been opened! I sit here in a hotel room in San Diego. I am visiting colleges with my daughter who is a Junior in high school. Today we visited two universities. What I always knew (and feared just a little) has now become a stark reality in my brain. Every college student I passed was carting a laptop. Every hallway I walked down, students were plugging away at laptops, individually and in groups. Everywhere I looked in the huge libraries were computers and other types of technology. Classrooms were full of technology I've never even seen. Students were creating things in front of me with just a few clicks. It made my head spin. That is the future of our students. Not to even mention the fact that when my third graders get there it will be even further advanced. The funny thing is, and the most telling, my head was literally spinning at it all and my daughter was salivating, so anxious to get right to it. She doesn't know all the technology we saw today...but she isn't afraid to jump right in, in fact, can't wait to do so.

How does this relate to this week's blog? It made me realize that I need to stop making excuses for the lack of technology in my classroom. I need to stop letting my own discomfort get in the way. We have work to do! I need to revise my GAME Plan in many ways. I need to figure out a way around having only 3 working computers in the classroom. I also need to get over my want for control and let the students take over their learning sometimes. That's not always easy with third graders who are not very independent.

I looked at the NETS-T standards and have decided that I need to focus on standard 1: Inspiring and Facilitating Student Learning and Creativity. I don't have all the answers yet, but I know I need to make sure that I can facilitate that learning even without the technology at my fingertips. With my unit I will have to get creative. I can show students techniques they can use for our Economics unit that they can do at home, if they are able. Maybe I can even have a Parent Education nights teaching the parents about the wikis and blogs we are creating. This could take away some of the parents' fears about technology and may create an avenue at home that has not been available to me as of yet.

All in all, I think the most important thing I've learned today was from my daughters reaction vs. my reaction. She had the "Bring it!" look in her eyes where I was more cautious and intimidated (and more than a little overwhelmed) from the unfamiliar technology. I need to create lessons that create that "Bring it!" look in my students' eyes. I don't know all the answers yet, but I do know I need to approach it from that angle from now on.
Tonya

4 comments:

  1. Wow,

    That is amazing! How things have changed over the past 10...20...years. It seems like everything is different, which isn't such a bad thing! I envy you going to San Diego! Boy do I miss it! Go SDSU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya,

    Ok...first of all...how did your daughter, who was in MY first grade class, grow up so quickly? It seems like just yesterday that she was sitting in the little chair, behind the mini desk in my classroom! Now off to college! Time flies! Congratulations for raising such an amazing young woman!

    If it had been me walking through those schools looking at all of the technology, I would have had a panic attack! I am just now learning the basics, and these young people can do SO much with technology! Reading all that you wrote made me realize just how important technology is in this world today! Those who don't know how to use it will be left behind. I don't want to be that adult! Nor do I want my students to have that issue. I think creating lessons that create the "Bring it!" look is fabulous! I don't think you need all of the answers. By looking at your lessons and watching you in your classroom, I can see that you already create that special look in many of your students' eyes! I also like the way you spoke of involving the parents! That is a great way to ease their fears.

    I have always admired your positive attitude! Making what we have work, is the best we can do for our students. I know that I make excuses as well, but your words made me want to push those excuses to the side (at least until my only working computer breaks down).

    Great thoughts!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya,

    Lucky you going to San Diego! I ran a marathon around the city and it was wonderful.

    Apparently, college is not the only place that has the extensive technology, most of the students in my stepson's high school have laptops.

    Have you ever thought of using the computers as part of center/stations activities in all areas? I split my class into groups, give some independent work, review game, research using books and then another group working on the computers according to what the lesson is about.

    Minty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Minty,
    I am going to use the computers in a center this week. The problem in the past has been lack of supervision..and believe me...this group needs supervision. I had a parent contact me this week to volunteer. I'm going to train her on blogging and wikis and she's going to be my "Computer Center Mom". Thank Goodness, because when I tried it before all they did was interrupt the small group I was trying to work with over and over.

    ReplyDelete