Saturday, April 17, 2010

Using My GAME Plan and NETS-T Standards

I must say, I am happy we had to create a GAME plan as it has really helped me to think things through rather than simply jumping in with both feet. Don't get me wrong, I've jumped in with both feet now, but I tested the water this time to figure out the best place to jump and, frankly, how not to bellyflop! At times when I've tried to use technology for lessons I've bitten off more than I could chew. The GAME Plan forces teachers to think things all the way through first.

The lesson I created using the GAME Plan is the perfect example. I did the lesson last year as I was just learning some of these new technology skills and wanted to try them out. I had my class creating a wiki at the same time I was still learning myself how to create one. It was halfway successful. The students loved it but I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed. Creating the GAME Plan this year has helped me to spell it all out, step by step, beforehand and not make it up as I go. Already I'm feeling more at ease with it all.

Having a GAME Plan also helps in meeting the NETS-T standards. Simply being aware of them and knowing what they are as we are planning lessons helps us to plan for them. So many of the Teacher Standards and the Student Standards overlap. In order for the students to use creativity in technology, I will need to come up with creative lesson plans. At the end of the day, I still believe it comes down to flexibility and comfort. We need to meet these standards while providing the students with the comfort with technology that will enable them to meet the new standards as technology changes, as we all know it will. Also, being a third grade teacher, the way I meet these standards will be very different from the manner in which they meet them in high school. I need to make sure they are introduced and the students feel comfortable diving in. I feel that will prepare them for the years when they are truly put into practice at a much deeper level.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tonya,
    I think you have created a very safe atmosphere in your classroom where your students DO feel comfortable diving into technology! Your lessons are exciting and engaging. I really appreciate your total flexibility in changing things when they need to be changed, and then moving on. You are very good at that! When I look back at how far we've come in teaching technology, I am amazed! I think we can feel safe in the fact that we are now beginning to create a solid foundation in technology which will help our students throughout their learning careers! Great job!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya,

    I agree with you and Amy about how we can begin to feel more and more comfortable using these new tools. I've been in the profession for 20 years so change of any type is hard for me. That is one reason I've enrolled in this graduate course.

    One thing I will say, is that technology today is MUCH easier, better, and more accessible than it was in the beginning of my career. Back then using technology required knowledge of BASIC, or using boring GREEN software that was cutting edge. I've lost touch with technology ever since I lost my classroom set of computers. I never got comfortable with reserving a computer lab, and having my lessons come to fruition when the lab was mine to use. Now that most of my students are online at home, and Internet savvy, I don;t need school access to computers, and can reintroduce technology into my lessons--one step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya,

    I definitely feel the same way about the game plan as you. All of the little details that you typically wouldn't think of seem to be part of the thinking process in developing a game plan. I feel that it makes us more prepared for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete